Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Social Bookmarking (Delicious.com)-NETS IV

For this assignment we learned to create tabs and links to websites that we found helpful to answer various questions given by the teacher. We had to also become members of a social bookmarking website called Delicious.com where our tabs would be saved.
1. This document was about the Influenza epidemic, which says it swept the world in 1918 and killed an estimated 50 million people. One fifth of the world's population was affected by this deadly virus and within months it had killed more people than any other illness ever did in history. It is very important using primary sources in our classrooms because it helps to better help our students and have more tools that we can chose from as our learning resources.

2.The student groups that experience achievement gaps are American Indians and Alaska Natives,Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders,Blacks, Hispanics and the GLBT.One area I feel fits my teaching style is the one that says to network with parents, family, minority group, and faith based organizations to discuss the needs of diverse students. I feel if we get everybody in the community involved that are concerned with these issues in the education of our students not only will the students benefit but also the community will benefit as well. Communities will function better becoming better educated and more accepting of each others' differences. Also, another one connected to this area is to build a network between natural helpers and experts whom have knowledge of the diversity in our schools. these way everybody involved can help out in the schools, try to raise some funding for school resources so that we can help our diverse students have more resources to learn better. Building a network between school staff and experts is important so that they can all offer input into how to implement instruction for our students.Third area I feel fits my teaching style is conducting a comprehensive cultural competence school self assessment. I feel I can conduct this because I will be able to develop a long term plan that has goals and objectives that will help and benefit our diverse students. The policies, principles and structure of the school can change thanks to this so that everybody will feel welcomed and safe in our schools.

3. For the cyberbully test my score was a 10:cyber risky. My bullying is not that terrible as the test score says and I believe it because whenever I "bully" someone its always a person I know that is close to me, like my sister. Her and I can say mean things to each other but we both know we are just joking and so nobody gets hurt in the process.I wasn't surprised to read that the cases of cyberbullying are increasing greatly. There are so many things that students do to each other to hurt the other and as the article says it only takes one email to start cyberbullying. By reading this I was able to learn that cyber bullying and cyberharassment are two whole different things and it makes sense because cyber harassment is when an adult is involved and so it does make a big difference in the extent of the consequences for these actions. It is sad to read that in some cases cyberbullying ends in a victim's death. As a future educator I will talk to my students about all kinds of bullying and the ways that they can prevent and stop being bullied.As I read some students might feel scared and reluctant to talk to an adult about their problems so  I will also make my students feel safe in my classroom and safe to come and talk to me when they are having any problems.


4. As a future educator there is a great probability that I will have a student with special needs in my classroom and so I read the special ed and counselors section under the subject access section. Being able to refer back to this section later on as a future educator is a great probability because I will have access to information provided that deals with special ed students and that way I can help my special ed students better learn. This interested me because it helped me understand different kinds of special needs students may have and ways to meet their educational goals accordingly to their needs.It also has websites to learn about gifted and talented children and websites that provide us with information about disabilities. Sign language is also a part of this section and I have always wanted to take sign language but have not been able to, I do hope sometime soon I can take a few classes on sign language.Under the teachers' helpers section I chose to read the critical evaluation information because it will help me and my students to be able to evaluate the authenticity of a website we are using. Sometimes students might do research papers based on websites that they read and the information they may be getting from these websites may be wrong so by reading this information on how to evaluate websites we will be able to get more accurate information. I do see myself using this website and sections as I will probably use the elementary level critical evaluation survey so that my students can use them and conduct better research.

5.My top three intelligence styles are Logical Mathematical(81%), Intrapersonal(69%), and Musical(63).It surprised me to read the description it had for the Intrapersonal intelligence for it said that people with a intrapersonal intelligence will do great in various job, including being a teacher! It was the one I connected to the most.  The video I watched was Big Thinkers:Howard Gardner on Multiple intelligences where Gardner talks about how it is so easy to forget things that we learn in school. We try to memorize so many things that later on we will not be able to remember. As he says and as I believe in as well there has to be more meaningful lessons designed for our students so that they can remember better and longer what is taught to them. Teachers need to find ways to meet each students' learning style so that every kid in the classroom can have a fair and equal opportunity to learn as the other students.

6.I chose the early grade 3-5, subject: language arts,reading, ELL, and social studies and the topic was Hate Crimes Legislation.I chose the hate crime topic because many kids at this age are victims of hate crimes and some may be the ones doing hate crimes. By having my students understand what hate, hate crimes and hate crime laws are and hopefully they will be able to prevent this from happening and stop being hate crime victims. Since I chose the early grades the lesson is very easy to follow, I would have my students talks about the things they hate and why they hate them, after discussing them I would have them find other ways to rephrase hate and to be more specific of why they dislike something. Then I would have my students research about laws, what are the laws, who implements laws, and how are laws made.Then I can discuss with them the importance of laws to make our country safe and that their is a law against hate crimes so that they can live by it and be better citizens.

7.The two questions that I found to be the most interesting were the one asking about median annual incomes for Latina and Native American women who have received a graduate degree and the one that asks what is the percentage of schools with no tecahers  of color in the US. The answers to both of these questions were surprising. The median annual incomes for Latina and Native American women who have received a graduate's degree is between 50,000 and 40,000 dollars respectively and so it seems really unfair because the white male with a graduates' degree makes an average of about 80,000 dollars! And also what is shocking to know is that 40% of US schools don't have a person of color on staff! These two issues should be addressed and make equal to everybody!

8.My score on the netiquette quiz was 70%. I think its important to teach students about netiquette because they will learn how to look good online. Not only that but they will also learn and understand the limitations of online communication. It will help them be corteous online and that they should always be aware of not hurting people's feelings while being online. :^D

No comments:

Post a Comment